Monday, December 29, 2014

What’s Your Priority?

What’s Your Priority?



A number of years ago I had the opportunity to meet a man who had finally gotten everything he could ever desire in life.  From the time he hit 40, he had this goal of retiring by the age of 55.  For approximately 15 years he worked long hours, plus weekends, and piled up as much money as he could into various accounts and investments.  His work kept him from virtually all family activities, and he was seldom at home.  He missed his children’s many accomplishments, and almost never had any time for his wife and family.

As the years went on, his bank account grew larger.  In fact, they even scaled back on their living to be able to even save even more.   Shortly before his 55th birthday, he announced he would soon be retiring, and it was time to put their current house up for sale.   When the house sold, they took a trip to Florida, and he quickly located the perfect condo near the Gulf of Mexico that was close to a Golf Course.  A few months later he retired, and he and his wife made the move.

For all these years he had worked toward this single minded goal, and though he had paid a huge price by being distant from his family, and even estranged, he could always find a way to justify it to himself, that “he” deserved it for all his hard work.   

A few days after the move, and while still unpacking, the man started developing some severe abdominal pains.  For a couple of days he dismissed it to having just moved, but finally, when it got too bad, he went to the Emergency Room.  Shortly thereafter he was given the diagnosis of advanced pancreatic cancer.   At the time I was a Hospice Chaplain, and the wife had requested the services of a Chaplain.     I assumed I was there to provide her, their now adult children and her husband comfort, but that proved not to be the case.  When I arrived, she let me know that this man had no use for God, and he considered anyone that did “weak.”  While she had been a believer before she married, she had not been active in years, and neither had her children.

The reason she wanted to see a Chaplain was she was worried that she was not feeling any remorse or sadness that her husband would soon be gone, in fact, she was happy, relieved, and content.  It was obvious that her children despised their father, and were only there to help their mother.  I spent time with them, listening to how hurt and angry they were for all those years, as he abandoned them to seek his early retirement.   I did my best to assure them not to feel guilt, as they had been the victims of a single minded selfishness, to which they had no control.  Before I left, I did enter the bedroom to talk to the husband.  His only words to me were “If there is a god, and after all my hard work, why would he let this happen?”   He indicated he did not want an answer.   

We live in a day and age where more times than not, so many families priorities are out of order.  We have a generation that has forsaken the message of Christ, and acquiring “things,” advancing our careers, or achieving certain goals becomes dominate.  While there is nothing wrong with careers and goals, and the rewards they offer, we must have solid priorities, and those priorities need to be grounded on the solid foundation found in our Lord Jesus Christ.

We live in a connected world of technology, which can be a double edged sword.  On one hand it can connect us to those we love, or become an intrusion into our family life, and even our time with God.   It can connect us, or split us apart.       

In Luke Chapter 12, beginning at verse 16 we find this parable that Jesus shares with His disciples: “And he spake a parable unto them, saying, ‘The ground of a certain rich man brought forth plentifully:  and he reasoned within himself, saying, What shall I do, because I have not where to bestow my fruits?  And he said, This will I do: I will pull down my barns, and build greater; and there will I bestow all my grain and my goods. And I will say to my soul, Soul, thou hast much goods laid up for many years; take thine ease, eat, drink, be merry. But God said unto him, Thou foolish one, this night is thy soul required of thee; and the things which thou hast prepared, whose shall they be? So is he that layeth up treasure for himself, and is not rich toward God’. (Luke 12: 16-21, New American Version)

It was so sad that this man had only laid up his treasures on earth, without fully counting the real cost, not just to his family, but even himself. In all my years in ministry, I never saw a hearse pulling a U-Haul.

About a month later I had a phone call from the wife, indicating her husband had passed away a few days before.  I offered to do the service, but she said (that in keeping with her husband’s wishes) there would be no service of any kind. In fact, that was fine by her.  I asked how she was doing, and she said she was doing very well.  She was planning to sell the new condo, move back home, and be closely connected to her family, though she did say she would return to Florida in a few years.  She was determined to get her priorities right, and make the best of the time she would have in this life.  I wished her God’s blessings and best, and took some time to share a prayer.

I never heard from that woman again, but something deep inside says that God made a major change in her life.  She was determined to make up for all her family lost, and I’m sure, in doing so, she found genuine peace and happiness.

Heavenly Father, help us to get our priorities right - Your priorities. May our lives be more centered on You and less centered on ourselves. Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment